Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sabbath

May 17, 2008 – Saturday



Keep the Sabbath day to sanctify it…On it thou shalt not do any work.



Deuteronomy 5:12,14



A world without a Sabbath would be like a man without a smile, like a summer without flowers, and like a homestead without a garden. It is the most joyous day of the whole week. – Henry W Beecher



<><

Deuteronomy 5
The Ten Commandments
12 "Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the LORD your God has commanded you. 13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 14 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your ox, your donkey or any of your animals, nor the alien within your gates, so that your manservant and maidservant may rest, as you do. 15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.



<><



When was the last time that you really rested on the Sabbath? When have you actually rested the way God intended us to rest?



In my life, there is little time for rest, relaxation and rejuvenation; at least that is how I see it. I do have to tell you that the life that God has placed in front of me, He supplies everything (including rest and sanity) that I need to accomplish the tasks He has set on my path. Sometimes it is a struggle to attempt to do it all, and honestly there are a lot of things that don’t get done because I tend to follow God’s lead. For example, I gave up taking care of the house every single day; I relinquished my control over the spotlessness of the kitchen, the joy of keeping the laundry hampers empty, the garbage taken out nightly, the weekly grocery store visits, the balancing of the checkbook, and the sparkly bathroom. These are the things that have been placed on the back-burner in order to enjoy in-depth Bible study, true fellowship, and intense conversation, building friendships, helping those in need, serving in the church, loving and supporting my children, and keeping my job. Sounds funny, but it is true.



There are those who think this “lifestyle” is not appropriate. Honestly, I don’t care about the opinion of others (don’t get me wrong, I happen to love these others, just not their opinions). I believe that this life I am leading is God centered. I really believe that I am where God wants me, doing what He commands. I am truly blessed by what God has provided – and I have no intention of stopping!!!

No comments: